$5 materials fee
Jane Shibata is an adjunct faculty member in the Art Department at Santa Monica College in California and runs a design business specializing in the lettering arts in Los Angeles, California. Jane worked for the City of Los Angeles as a calligrapher and is currently doing contract work for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Graphic Arts division. She is a long-time Society for Calligraphy Southern California member who has served on the board, coordinated outreach events, and taught many workshops for the Society for Calligraphy. Jane has also taught for a few other guilds in California and other states, and two international calligraphy conferences. Jane is also a charter member of the Colored Pencil Society of America.
Spice up your calligraphy and lettering with a variety of colored pencil techniques. A techniques sampler will be done first then applied to a slew of decorative letters. Demonstrations will be given on various paper surfaces. Plus, a few ideas will be demonstrated on how to and where to utilize colored pencils in your calligraphy or lettering artwork.
Purchase only those items that you don’t have or want to try.
• Open stock of a variety of “artist-series” (not student grade) colored pencils or a set of 24-32 colors (Prismacolor, Faber Castell, Caran d’Ache, Derwent)
• Water-soluble colored pencils, open stock of a variety of colors or a set of 12 or less
• One of the following papers: Strathmore Artist Tiles 6 x 6 sketch pad, Strathmore Artist Tiles Artagain 6 x 6 black paper, Bienfang 360 layout 9 x 12 pad, -or- Borden & Riley Cotton Comp layout 9 x 12 pad
• Craft stylus (usually used for stencils) or a ball point pen that doesn’t work anymore
• Sakura Micron or Prismacolor Fine Liner; 01 or 05, black
• HB and 2H pencils
• Eraser, retractable style (Pentel or whatever you have)
• Pencil sharpener (small handheld or battery-operated) and container or small paper bag for shavings
• 3M permanent double-sided tape (plastic yellow-plaid label), 1/2 x 450 in.
• Pilot Parallel pen, 6 mm and/or 3.8 mm, black cartridges (bring other sizes/colors if you have them)
• X-ACTO #11 knife or retractable knife with break-off blades
• Water brush, any brand
• Metallic gel pens (Pentel Slicci, Sakura Gelly roll, Uniball Signo)
Optional items if you have them: Finesse color blender, Fons&Porter thin-line white mechanical pencil, Koh-I-noor multicolor pencils (tri-tone pencils, magic pencils), Blair low-odor workable fixative